Thursday, May 19, 2011

bloggers quilt festival

here's my entry for the bloggers quilt festival over on amy's creative side.
H's quilt

i started it when H was doing time (9 months gestation! actually 8 and a half!) and after deciding to add hand quilting detail with perle 8 i finally finished it a couple of weeks ago (H is six months old!), i could only manage a couple of lines at a time due to boredom and a sore finger.
H's quilt

the fabrics are a bit of mixture, the matryoshkas were where the whole theme started - i decided a simple strip quilt would be the best thing to show off the large scale print. and i added the michael miller dot in teal, a gingham seersucker in red, a couple of small dots i found at spotlight, and a great find from spotlight - the blue retro floral which i have since realised is almost exactly the same as a cath kidston print.

the back is a few strips of leftover scraps, dividing some off white linen and the amy butler lotus print.
H's quilt

and i found the perfect stripe for the binding in my stash.
H's quilt folded

amy puts in a lot of hard work to organise the festival - hop on over and take a look at all the other quilts, and checkout the sponsors.
Amy's Creative Side

18 comments:

  1. Hi Alexis ... Your quilt is beautiful! Just perfect for a baby with all the fun and bright colors. I especially love the matryoshkas ... so cute! I totally understand how bored you must have been doing all that wonderful hand-quilting. I did one very large quilt that way and learned that I would never do another one unless I got a quilting machine (lol)! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful fabric choices and I am in love with the matryoshkias!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really sweet quilt I love your use of strips of the fabrics it showes off the prints very well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its beautiful. I love the binding :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it!!

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilt is really lovely, I love the mix of fabrics you used, and the striped binding just finishes it perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this quilt and your fabrics highlight the matryoshkas so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this quilt.colorful!!.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This makes me want to learn how to quilt. I love the fabric combo, the colors, the simplicity - perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love this and I have to find me some of that fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful quilt! Love that nesting doll fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it! I have always loved the matryoshkas and this is just adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok, seriously, when H was doing time...that was hysterical! I love it and the quilt! So modern and awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Still catching up on visiting the entries to the quilt festival. Your quilt is very lovely. Love the matryoshkas!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello! Your quilt is really beautiful! Great simple pattern with lovely fabrics!
    Sunny wishes from Greece! Teje

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, what a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  17. what a great quilt - love the colors and all the fabrics together, especially the binding. and such a beautiful way to showcase the matryoshkas. fabulous!

    ReplyDelete